We had 48 hours to make something for “The Deconstruction 2013.” For our build, we took junked items apart and transformed them into something fun and awe inspiring! The end result is The TriFly, a 3 wheel electric propeller driven land vehicle!
Basic build details:
- 20 HP (continuous) 72v neodymium motor
- 36×12 cheapo mass produced beechwood hobby propeller. Wish we could have got larger!
- 2 junked golf carts kindly donated from ODU.
- Ultra powerful demonic red projector LED’s from a scrapped theater projectors
- speaker housing for mounting lights
- Glass shower knob adapted to throttle
- “Racing” Ford Bronco bench seat practically given away on Craigslist
- We custom machined adapters with our metal lathe to mount the atypical motor to the propeller
- 2.22 kWh 74v nominal LIPO battery pack, 400A controller
- Old 4 AWG car stereo wiring and distribution blocks from highschool a decade ago
- Probably a lot more we are forgetting, we are still recovering!
These parts were aligned by custom machining an adapter of varying diameter down the shaft to perfectly center the pieces so it could be drilled out perfectly.
Loading it on the truck after the build!
Battery Chaos. 30 5AH 14.8v nominal packs in combination series & parallel. 2.2kWh of fury.
Demonic front end.
CNC machined an aluminum disk for the prop.
Grunt work from random helpers!
Cheap prop balancing tool.
Fabricating things up. These seats caught fire about 9 times during the process of welding around it.
George Norris adding some character
Welded together our own hardware for prop mounting because nothing was available to fit our needs locally within our time constraints!
Thanks for reading!